Wednesday, November 7, 2012

What do you hear?


The Throat Chakra governs the theme of communication, and is located in the region of the mouth, ears and throat. It is said we have two ears and one mouth, therefore we should listen twice as much as we speak. This anatomical truth helped me ease into my Throat Chakra explorations by activating the embodiment of hearing. 
For several days, I brought intense awareness to how my outer ear collected sound waves from my external environment. Feeling into these vibrations traveling through my ear canal and drumming against my tympanic membrane. This pulsation vibrates the 3 small bones of the middle ear, which in turn beat against the oval window. This then creates waves in the fluid filled cochlea of the inner ear. These waves stimulate hair follicles, which activate the auditory nerve, which sends sound impulses to the brain for interpretation. Wow, that is lot of stuff that happens really fast! 

Working with the fundamental anatomy of the ear, I focused a whole day hearing with my right ear,  feeling into the auditory nerve crossing over to the other side of my brain for interpretation. The next day, I focused on hearing with my left ear and the cross over to the other side of my brain. Then I listened with both ears, feeling even deeper into the cross over of my auditory nerves. Coupled with the cross over of my optic nerves, I came to a center point in this mandala of sensory input, between eyes and ears, seeing and hearing. I started seeing sounds and hearing images, discovering a vibrant new way of receiving input and wisdom from the moment. 

This level of hearing made me very aware of the sounds we are immersed in every day. It’s hard to close our ears to the negative sounds created from media, hateful self-talk, and environmental sound pollution. Therefore, its important to balance the bombardment of dissonance sound vibrations with resonant, harmonious ones. This can be done though chanting, either out loud or internally, sitting in silence and listening to the sound of your breath, or sitting in nature and listening to the natural sounds of the wild. 

Hearing is an amazing process to feel into and appreciate. I encourage you to take some time to listen twice as much as you speak. Notice the sounds around and within you? Take some time to really listen to the universe, you'll be amazed at what you hear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment