Sunday, January 4, 2015

Vision Questing

My spot along the Rio Grande River;
Truth or Consequences, NM
Hawks lived in the cliff walls.
They brought deep medicine to my journey. 
I’m often asked, “What do you do on a Vision Quest?” 
My response: “Well....it’s different each time.” 
However, there are 3 parts of a quest for me; 
the preparationthe quest, and the integration. 

When I head out into the wild for a Vision Quest, I usually have some inspirations already seeded in my soul. I do an Oracle reading before my trip, which offers me metaphors for contemplation. I almost always have SoulCollage cards, and most often a chakra theme I’m exploring.  All of these inputs fuel my journey, weaving together in unique and powerful ways to guide and support me at my location.  

When I get to the location for my quest, the spirit of place informs and guides me through my journey. The rituals I co-create with the space are inspired by terrain, weather, animals that show up, and the play of light and shadow as I move through day and night.    

This year, on my drive to southern New Mexico I had several experiences that activated energies within me, adding contemplations for my quest.  


I love to create altars;
in my home, in nature, in my car.
They are prayers that honor
 Passage, Inspiration, Hope.
They help me stand in the light
and see my shadow.
Bringing all pieces together
into wholeness. 
A I drove to my location read Bill Plotkins book “Wild Mind”  and began to embody the archetypal force of the Nurturing Generative Parent and naming my Loyal Soldiers. This expansion of archetypal energies in my being ripped me open, activated emotions, and primed me for my arrival in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. 
Once I landed in my location along the Rio Grande River,  an altar started to take shape, bringing forces brewing inside of me out into visual form. As I created my altar, the hawks that lived in the cliffs soared overhead. They became a vital part of my experience, leading me on journeys along the river as they hunted and sang with one another. 

I Cried. Journaled. Did Yoga. Laughed. Danced. 
Talked to the Cliffs. Walked. Slept. Prayed. Listened. Created Intention Flags. Drew. Read. Meditated. Sang. 
Crawled on my belly. Honored Bones. Gave Offerings. 

As I return home, and integrate lessons from the trip, I create altars around my house, journal and write blogs, the keep the energy alive and activated in my daily living. 
Creating SoulCollage cards around what shows up is an essential part of my Vision Questing integration process.


  • How can you get out into the wild for your own Vision Quest? 
  • Even if it only for a day, how can you get out into nature, for soul time? 
  • Find a location that calls to you, sit there, and apprentice to the lessons of nature. 
  • Enter into relationship with the land.  
  • What animals show up as companions for inspiration? 
  • What laughters want to ride the wind? What tears does the ground want to soak up? 
  • Schedule time for your Winter Vision Quest... Your Soul is Yearning...
SoulCollage card I created before my Winter Vision Quest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment